15th February 2020
11:30am - 4:30pm
St Mary's Welcome Centre
As we move into 2020, now is the time to come together to reflect on how we can ensure that urgent action is taken in response to the climate and ecological emergency.
– Should Extinction Rebellion continue to be as disruptive as possible to persuade the government to make the changes needed to protect its people and the planet?
– Would it be more effective to influence key individuals to make change happen?
– Is it most effective to build a movement that empowers individuals to work together to create the future they need?
– Or can we do all three?!
Discuss answers to the above questions and more at our next people’s assembly, where we will explore how we can create change as a mass movement seeking to prevent climate and ecological breakdown.
We will be presented with three models (known as “theories of change”) that have been proposed by XR UK Strategy Stewardship Team. We will then hold a people’s assembly to reflect on our responses to these both as individuals and as a local group – this will involve breaking into smaller groups to share ideas. There will be space for us to reflect on other possible ways of creating change and how these might fit with the methods proposed. We will then feed back our ideas and responses both to each other and to XR UK so that they can be taken into account in the creation of the movement’s strategy.
Outline of the day:
– 10.30am introduction to Extinction Rebellion
– 11.00am: introduction to the proposed models, including panel discussion and Q&A
– 12.30pm: shared lunch (to be provided)
– 1.00pm: introduction to Extinction Rebellion
– 1.30pm: people’s assemblies on each of the three models proposed
– 3.30pm: group feedback
– 4.00pm: online feedback
Newcomers are very welcome – it will be an excellent opportunity to hear more about Extinction Rebellion’s aims and help to shape how these can be achieved. There will be inductions at 10.30am and 1.00pm.
There will be a quiet space away from the main event space for people to relax if they need to.
Teas, coffees and snacks will also be available throughout the day
Please join for as much or as little of the day as you can.
Ticket price: Free
Ticket link: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/xr-waltham-forest-peoples-assembly-how-do-we-achieve-change-tickets-92878288461
Event webpage: http://xrwf.wordpress.com
Event email: email@example.com